This article explains how to configure access to your AWS linked accounts using the Manage Linked Accounts panel when creating or editing a collection.
The credentials and settings you provide here enable Cloud Cruiser to do more for your AWS collection than just collect usage and cost data. Specifically, they enable:
- Collection of resource utilization, application performance, and operational health data available through the Amazon CloudWatch service. This not only provides richer reporting, but also enables Insights to alert users to take action based on these metrics, such as when a resource is underutilized. For a list of the specific Cloud Cruiser metrics fields collected from AWS and other providers, see Performance and utilization metrics.
- Recommendations from the RI Advisor to help you optimize your AWS cost using reserved instances and the ability to have Cloud Cruiser perform those recommendations for you. For more information, see Using the RI Advisor to reduce AWS cost.
To configure linked accounts
- For each account listed, enter the Access Key ID and Secret Key of an AWS user in that account who has the permissions required for the functionality you want to enable. For details on the specific permissions needed per function, see AWS permissions needed by Cloud Cruiser.
If you don't want to use the RI Advisor, you can skip to step 4.
- If you want to use the RI Advisor to receive cost-saving recommendations, select RI Advice for all accounts where you own RIs.
If you enable RI advice for a subset of the accounts where you own RIs, the recommendations Cloud Cruiser offers will be inaccurate and might actually increase your cost. This is because the RI Advisor can't see all the RIs you own and could thus recommend purchasing to cover instances that are already running as RIs. Make sure to select all accounts that hold RIs.
- If you selected RI Advice for any accounts and also want the RI Advisor to be able to perform its recommendations for you, do the following:
- Select Allow Cloud Cruiser to purchase, sell, and modify RIs for you at the top of the panel.
This enables Cloud Cruiser users who have Perform RI Recommendations permissions capability to tell the RI Advisor to purchase, sell, and modify RIs as recommended. The user has the opportunity to review and adjust each action before the RI Advisor performs it.
- Decide which account Cloud Cruiser should use when purchasing RIs and select it in the Purchase column.
All purchases that the RI Advisor performs for you will be made in this account.
- If you have a linked account that is missing from the list and you want to receive CloudWatch metrics or RI advice for it, click the Add button, enter its AWS Account ID and an Account Name, and repeat steps 1 and 2 for it.
- Click Next (if modifying an existing collection, Save).
Cloud Cruiser validates the credentials and settings as you enter them, showing the status of each account in the leftmost column. If you are missing the correct credentials or permissions for an account but want to save your work and come back later, toggle that account to Inactive in the rightmost column. Each account must be either valid or inactive to save changes in this panel.